Brake bleeding syringe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake bleeding syringe

Morning all, I will need to be bleeding my brakes and clutch very shortly. Before I go out and buy a syringe type tool for self bleeding, does anybody on here have any experience, recommendations of a good tool to buy.

I dont need all singing, all dancing as I'm just a man in his shed working on one car. But at the same time, I dont want to buy rubbish.
    Last edited by Clayton; 19-12-2023, 09:55 AM. Reason: Added spaces

Do you have an air compressor?
    I bought this last year, works great but you do need a compressor.

IMG_6317.jpg

Comment

• S1 RST
      S1 RST commented
      Editing a comment
      I use exactly this, not really expensive iirc +/- €40
      Works well, easy to bleed brakes, clutch, also use it for bleeding fuel filters and lines on diesel cars

I do mate, although I was thinking something a bit less elaborate than that. One thing will lead to another and I'll need different fittings etc etc. But that is a good shout. thankyou.

Comment

I have got one of these kits:

Clicky Link - 3L+1L Car Brake Bleeder Clutch Bleeding System Fluid Bleeder Tool Kit UK

Car Brake Bleeder Clutch Bleeding System.jpg
      Last edited by Clayton; 20-12-2023, 11:32 AM. Reason: Added link title & image

Comment

Buy yourself one of these and never struggle again. Its an absolute game changer for working on your own. Trusted brand and can be found for around 30/40 quid usually.

Clicky Link - 2.5L Brake & Clutch Bleeding System

Sealey brake-clutch bleeding system.png
        Last edited by Clayton; 20-12-2023, 11:26 AM. Reason: Added link title & image

Comment

Thank you for all the advise guys. I have placed an order for the Sealey one as used by DanT404.

Comment

Hi everyone,

Just an update. I purchased the Sealey pressure bleeder as in the picture above. To say I'm disappointed in its performance would be an understatement. I found it was useless. So, I reverted to good old-fashioned brake pedal pumping. I now have an excellent brake and clutch pedal.

The pressure bleeder I followed the instructions, pressurised it, and checked for leaks, all okay.
            But, I only pumped it up to 15psi for bleeding purposes as I couldn't find the correct safe figure for our brake systems.
            It was just like there was not enough pressure. Opened the nipple and fluid just about came out and then stopped.
            So, to give the pressure tester a reprieve, has anyone on here physically used one, and at what pressure is safe to use for our brake system? Every day is a school day.
            Last edited by Clayton; 29-12-2023, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Sorry to say... I'm afraid this is most likely user error.

I own one personally (used probably 3/4 times a year) and so do probably 10 professional mechanics I know of that use them virtually daily.

You can apply as much pressure as is necessary (within the safe working area marked on the gauge, your braking system uses far more pressure when operational than the bleeder can apply.)

Pumping the brake pedal the full length of the stroke has the potential to give you issues with the seal inside the master cylinder. You may get lucky but this has been a problem in the past especially on an older vehicle as the piston never moves that far along the seal in its lifetime. Then all of a sudden it gets forced all the way down and damages the seal which results in a leak.

This is obviously something which isn't guaranteed to happen and so you may get lucky but something to be aware of. The preferred way is to use a pressurised tool, either a 'push' (manual type you have) or a 'pull' (usually a compressor type which draws it from the other end of the system.)

Hopefully you find a way to work with the product as it genuinely is worth its weight in gold. 👍🏻

Comment

• BartFRS
                BartFRS commented
                Editing a comment
                Agree regarding pressure, the brake system is operating at a much higher pressure than this bleeder can deliver. Personally I wouldn’t hesitate to put it on 40 psi

• Garry T
                Garry T commented
                Editing a comment
                Cheers Dan, I agree, it would have been pilot error as a tool couldn't have been that useless. I was unsure of pressure so very obviously my fault. Now I know for future.
                When I read the instructions supplied it said not to exceed the vehicle's pressure limit and suggested 15 to 20psi as being maximum.
                Anyway, as usual, you have been very helpful and I thank you for that.
                Fingers crossed for a successful long-term outcome.
                Last edited by Clayton; 30-12-2023, 03:01 PM.

Cheers Bart, useful information again. In life we live and learn. My Grandad used to say to me you're never too old to learn. The Focus is the newest car I've worked on and I like to do as much as I can myself.

So there will be errors along the way. The incorrect pressure makes all the sense in the world to the way it was performing with me.
              The instructions and my lack of knowledge were the downfall.
              Last edited by Clayton; 30-12-2023, 03:02 PM. Reason: Added spaces

Comment

Very true, you are never to old to learn, most weeks i learn something new in my job whether thats big or small.
                Next time you need to use it i'd definitely give it another chance, as like i say once you've got it sussed i doubt if you'll ever look back again.Plus its truly a one person job this way.
                Worth mentioning there is usually a bleed sequence to follow also, off the top of my head i cant remember what the focus is but for example you may need to start at the furthest caliper and work towards the closest (to master cyl/reservoir).
                The MK1 Focus in general is a great car to work on yourself, its a relatively 'modern' car but most things are simple enough that they can be done with a fairly basic toolkit.

Comment

• Garry T
                  Garry T commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dan,i used old skool method for bleeding.Furthest away from master cylinder and end up at closest.I will keep it and learn from my mistake.I will definately try it again.
                  Just ignore the instructions..
              Working...
              X